Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Soapmaking Update


A couple of months ago, I started making goat milk soap. Shortly before I posted the link to the Martha Stewart site on soapmaking, I was experimenting with recipes I found online. I lost several batches of soap ingredients, due little quirks in the recipe. I then read and viewed some more on how to properly handle the goat's milk, and then had success.

The secret to making goat milk soap is correct temperatures and an electric beater for stirring. On several occasions since the time my soap flopped, the electric beater really saved the show. I had problems with separation of the ingredients and others with over-thickening. I've had several successful batches since that time, and have begun to sell them.

My daughter sold several bars for me at her craft table in Anchorage, AK. That gave me encouragement to make more, and I've started to double my recipe. I bought an extra set of molds and can now make a dozen at a time. I call the soap Frugal Mama's Homemade Goat Milk Soap, and you can find it on eBay.

The goat's milk has excellent moisturizing qualities. I've been using up the rejects from my batches, so my family has been using it consistently for the past month.  We've not gotten the typical seasonal itches that you get during the winter. I really like them! My girls have been getting a kick out of helping, too.

No comments: