Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Prayer in the Kitchen

Lord of all pots and pans and things,
Since I've no time to be
A saint by doing lovely things, or
Watching late with Thee,
Or dreaming in the dawnlight, or
Storming heaven's gates;
Make me a saint by getting meals and
Washing up the plates.

Although I must have a Martha's hands,
I have a Mary's mind;
And when I black the boots and shoes,
Thy sandals, Lord, I find.
I think of how they trod the earth
What time I scrub the floor;
Accept this meditation, Lord,
I haven't time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love, and
Light it with thy peace.
Forgive me all my worrying, and make
All grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food,
In room or by the sea,
Accept this service that I do -
I did it unto Thee.

(Back to the Bible broadcast, Lincoln, NE)

No comments: