You would be surprised by how many people violate basic food safety rules. Save yourself a trip to the hospital and try to put these guidelines into practice.
- Wash your hands before, after, and while you are handling food in the kitchen.
- Rinse fresh vegetables.
- Wash bottles and canned foods before opening, to prevent bacteria from getting into you food.
- Keep meat separate in your grocery cart and shopping bags.
- Put thawing and marinating food on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator. This prevents spilling onto food, if it were placed on a higher shelf. This is also a food safety tip for restaurants, and most often violated.
- Thaw and marinate meat in the refrigerator.
- Use two cutting boards - one for meats and the other for vegetables.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that they are properly cooked.
- Cook eggs thoroughly; especially now-a-days.
- Never eat raw eggs or anything with raw eggs in it.
- Whenever cooking frozen meals, follow the directions on the package.
- Label your leftovers with the date.
- When in doubt (of a food being fresh), throw it out.
I will be taking a short break, and will return November 29th.