Steps used in the video:
- Remove cabinet doors and hardware from each door.
- Clean thoroughly with wood soap and water.
- Use a sander or liquid deglosser to remove the poly finish. She used a deglosser, but you will want to sand them if you re-stain your cabinets. Remove the sanding dust before painting.
- Apply the oil-based primer and apply with a clean paint brush.
- Lay your cabinet doors flat, but raised off of the newspaper. Apply the paint to the center and highest level of wood, since some cabinets are beveled. Use straight, even strokes.
- Allow to dry, then apply the first coat of oil-based paint the same day you do the primer.
- Once the first coat is dry, apply a second coat of paint - if needed.
- Once thoroughly dry, re-attach the doors and hardware.
Update: You may want to do a little investigating concerning the use of oil-based paint. I was told by a friend that enamel paint is better, since it will not peel.