Saturday, August 21, 2010

Homesteading


(YouTube link)

In the coming Saturday blogs, I'm going to run the best of Becky's videos. I think what appeals to me the most is no mortgage. When you consider that most of us will never see our homes completely paid off, having no mortgage is very appealing. It is an uncomplicated way to live.

As we saw from last weeks video, there are inexpensive pieces of land that can be purchased through land auctions. You can find land online through special land auction websites, and eBay carries land sales. You really need to read them closely, because the eBay land auctions may seem to misrepresent themselves.

The best way to learn to homestead is to begin at your present location. Gain the skills you need in the home you're in. Then once you do buy your land and move to the site, life won't take a traumatic turn. There is much to learn, and many people learn it through books and reading online.

My Aunt Dot, my mother's sister, moved to the Adirondacks with her family when I was a child, and they homesteaded their land. They lived off the beaten path, off the grid and in primitive conditions for a while, but they gradually gained the comforts of a modern home.

I hope you enjoy the series.

No comments: