Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth


"Woman's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, not to glorify herself and grab for all the gusto she can get! This does not mean Christian women are unfulfilled. But fulfillment is a reward the Lord grants his sons and daughters for their unselfish service, not a prize to be grabbed from God's hands by force. Even Christ did not grab for fulfillment, but sought it by the road to the Cross. "Let this mind be in you" which was in him.

The real question about homemaking, then, is not "Do I want to do it?" or "Will it fulfill me?" or "What do I get out of it?" God has spoken, and we should only be asking, "How do I do it, Lord? Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth."

Thank God - homeworking is not just washing dishes, as I feared when I first timidly laid aside my career plans and began to try to do what God said. But I didn't know that when I started! I thought having babies was a great sacrifice, that housework was drudgery (I still hate housework!), and that I was being a noble martyr. But I found out otherwise; and so will you, if you have enough of the Christian spirit of adventure which allows you to take a running jump into the blue, not knowing where you will land, but only that God told you to do it."  Mary Pride, The Way Home, 1985


No comments: